Our origin was in 1874 when the proposal to construct two rackets courts was made. The courts were built and THE MANCHESTER RACQUET CLUB was opened in May 1876 in Miller Street on the corner of Blackfriars Road.
Unfortunately, as it seemed at the time, in the following year the London and North Western Railway Company obtained a compulsory purchase order on the new Club so that they could build the approach road to Exchange Station.
However, our forefathers, undaunted, decided to build again and formed a limited company, the Manchester Racquet and Tennis
Courts Ltd., who built the present club in Blackfriars Road with a real tennis court, racquets court and skittle alley.
The new Club opened in December 1880 and was let to the Manchester Tennis & Racquet Club in exchange for the net income of the Club.
In 1914 the shareholders generously sold the premises to the Club for £3,000 and the ownership was vested in Trustees acting on behalf of the Club; this arrangement exists to the present day. We built our squash court in 1926.